Marianna is located in Lee County
(of which it is the county seat) south of Forrest City
in the St. Francis National Forest
, between Felton and Scott Valley along Hwy 1 on the banks of the L'Anguille River. Also situated just southeast of where the St.Francis, L'Anguille and Mississippi River
The population estimate for July 1, 1998 was 5,263, a decrease of 770 since 1990.
Marianna was named for the daughter of John Harland in 1870, who provided the initial property for the establishment of the town.
Manufacturing & agriculture are the communities main economic staple.
Deer, wild turkey, squirrel, rabbit, quail, duck, and dove are some of the abundant game species found throughout the surrounding area. Fishing opportunities for largemouth bass, crappie, bream, bluegill, catfish and other game fish are available countywide. Bear Creek Lake (640 acres) and Storm Creek Lake (425 acres) on the St. Francis National Forest are two of Arkansas' best kept secret fishing holes.