Originally known as Buckingham House when King George III
bought the property for his wife in 1761, the house soon became known as the "Queens's House." George III
, George IV
and William IV
remodelled the house extensively, employing the skills of John Nash, and later Edward Blore. The Palace contains many priceless works of art, fine furniture and decoration, which form part of the Royal Collection. Featured on the tour of the palace interior is the 155-foot-long, toplit Picture Gallery, designed to house George IV
's collection of Dutch and Flemish pictures. The Gallery also displays the work of Steen, van Dyck, Frans Hals, Rembrandt, Canaletto, Ruebens, Poussin, Vermeer and other renowned artists. Open daily from August to October.
George V and his family, including the future Elizabeth II, remained at the Palace through the Blitz.