Founded: 1854, Pop.: 976 (2000), Elev.: 1051 ft.
Located in the Northeast Region of the state, in Doniphan County northwest of St Joseph between Hiawatha and Sparks near the Wolf River and Brown State Lake & Park.
The history of Highland begins with the Iowa, Sac and Fox Indian Mission est. in 1827 by Father Samuel Irvin, a Presbyterian missionary from Pennsylvania. The original mission still stands at the Native American Heritage Museum, operated by the Kansas State Historical Society. The site is now near the campus of Highland Community College. Built by Irvin, the building, Irvin Hall, has been in use ever since and is listed on the Historic American Building Survey. Highland Community College was chartered in 1858 and is the oldest institution of higher education in Kansas.