Founded: 1885, Population: 1348 (1997), Elevation: 3330 feet. Located in Stanton County
, (County Seat). Highways K-27 and US-160 intersect at Johnson City. Near the Colorado border, Johnson City is the last Kansas town on US Hwy-160 before exiting Kansas. The Cimarron Valley Railroad, (formerly Santa Fe), railroad also tracks through the town. The nearest river is the Cimarron
Johnson City was founded by Civil War veterans and was first called Veteran. In 1886 the town was moved 7 miles and renamed for Colonel A. S. Johnson, one of the veterans.
While small, this community has a full range of community services.
Special events: Annual Pioneer Day celebration is sponsored by the Museum and is held the last Saturday in July.