Chadron is located in Dawes County
(of which it is the county seat) 20 miles from the South Dakota State line in northwest Nebraska between Hay Spring
along Highway 20 near Fort Robinson State Park
and Chadron State Park.
Chadron is named for Louis B. Chartran, a manager of a fur trading post built in 1841. Chadron's roots began at a site northwest of the present location of the city.
This community is home to the Chadron State College.
Chadron's recreation includes: Six parks and playgrounds, which cover 30 acres. Facilities include outdoor cooking grills, picnic tables, playground equipment, horseshoe pits, and rest rooms. Four lighted ball parks and one soccer field cover an additional 30 acres.