Prior to its construction in 1835, this was the property of William Penn
, 17th century founder of Pennsylvania. During the Revolutionary War it was witness to the Battle of Princeton
Builder and first resident of Drumthwacket was Charles Olden, governor of New Jersey. In 1893 industrialist Moses Pyne enlarged the house and extended and landscaped the surrounding land.
In 1941 Russian immigrant Abram Spanel purchased the property and formed the International Latex Corporation, contributing greatly to the war effort. In 1966 the Spanels sold the property to the State of New Jersey for use as the official Governor's Residence.
The Drumthwacket Foundation was formed to preserve and maintain the magnificent house and grounds. This beautiful Greek Revival mansion is open to the public.