Red Bank Battle Field is the site of Fort Mercer, named after Gen. Mercer who died at Princeton January 1777. Two monuments mark this site. One is erected to Lieutenant Colonel Christopher Greene who, with four hundred men, defeated two thousand Hessian
troops at Red Bank October 22, 1777. A second monument commemorates the battle of Red Bank. Count Donop, the Hessian commander mortally wounded at the battle, was carried to Whitall Mansion and subsequently removed to the farm house of Joseph Low where he died. By Act of Congress 20 acres of land at Red Bank, including the fort, monuments, and site of the old mansion, are now a public park under care of the Gloucester County Board of Freeholders.
The mansion was the home of Ann Whitall who on the day of the battle was spinning in her home. A cannon ball entered the house, falling in the room where she was spinning. She removed her wheel to the cellar and continued her work.