House is in Quay County
, and in the Northeast New Mexico
region. This Community is located on Hwy 252, and south of Tucumcari
The Village of House began in 1902 when John Lee House and his wife, Lucie Jordan House, arrived from Texas and staked their homestead claim. Thus giving the name House. New homesteaders were arriving almost daily and in 1906, he established the post office with Lucie J. as the first postmistress. Also by 1905, he had built a general mercantile store to handle supplies for the homesteaders.
Today, House is a little agricultural village on New Mexico's eastern plains. The gently rolling terrain offers cattle and wheat. The school system has an exceptional 8:1 student to teacher ratio and the 17year dropout rate is on 2%. A college curriculum is available through interactive instructional television.