The Mission of San Miguel of Santa Fe
is one of the country's oldest churches. It began in 1610, and although records of its early history were burned during the Rebellion of 1680, the thick, sturdy adobe walls remained unharmed. Stone buttresses later were added to strengthen the walls, remodeled tower and modern facade. A bell cast in Spain in 1356 is displayed in an anteroom. It was used in churches in Spain and Mexico before being brought to Santa Fe by oxcart in the early 19th century. Priceless ornaments and paintings adorn the interior of the mission. A six-minute audio presentation is given continuously.