Wagon Mound is in Mora County
, and in the Northeast New Mexico
region. Wagon Mound is located north of Las Vegas on Interstate 25, and at the crossing of State Hwy 120.
Wagon Mound was first settled in 1850 by stockmen attracted to the rich pastures of the region. At that time it was called Santa Clara. In 1859 it was renamed after the rock formation resembling a covered wagon. The formation had long been a landmark on the Santa Fe Trail, identifying the point where the Cimarron Cutoff rejoined the main branch of the Trail. Today, Wagon Mound is still a farming and ranching community.