The first permanent non-active settlers in the Las Vegas
Valley were a group of Mormon missionaries who built an adobe fort along Las Vegas
Creek in 1855. They successfully farmed the area by diverting water from the creek. Today, the park includes a remnant of the original adobe fort, which serves as a visitor center with interpretive displays. Future development will include the re-creation of many historic features and a full-scale visitor center. Historic interpretation is and will remain the focus of the park.