Orrville is located in northeastern Ohio in Wayne County
45 miles south-southwest of Cleveland
and 10 miles east-northeast of Wooster
. The population estimate for July 1, 1998 was 8,227, an increase of 272 since 1990.
The history of the town began in 1814 when James Taggart, Jr., of Irish blood, claimed his 160 acres given by the U.S. Government to Revolutionary War veterans. Although he returned to Pennsylvania, his sons Samuel and Robert came the next year to settle. It was Samuel who built the first permanent residence in 1828. The house still stands East Fike St.
In 1897, Orrville resident Jerome Smucker, of Swiss ancestry, began pressing local appleslegend has it from trees planted by Johnny Appleseedfor cider and apple butter. The company today is known as "Smucker's".
The Pines Golf Club and Riceland Golf Course easc offer the public 18 holes of golfing challenge. Riceland was built in 1923 while The Pines is a relative newcomer, opening for play in 1960.