The town of Sheridan is located in southwest Yamhill County
, between Portland
and the central Oregon Coast
along Hwy 18.
Sheridan was named for Philip Henry Sheridan who was stationed in Oregon and Washington and fought Indians in the Cascade Mountains from 1855 to 1869.
Sheridan was platted as a town in 1880, the post office was established on April 4, 1866 by changing the name from Willamina and moving it 4 miles east. Thomas N. Faulconer was appointed post master.
Sheridan is part of the Portland-Vancouver, Oregon-WA metro area.
There is also a Sheridan, Texas.