1.2 miles seaward off Tillamook Head south of Seaside
stands Tillamook Rock Lighthouse. Looming 133 feet above sealevel with a 62-foot-high tower on basalt rock, exposure to storm waves led to the nickname 'Terrible Tilly.'
Commissioned in 1881 to help guide ships entering the Columbia River, it was replaced by a whistle buoy in 1957.
This is the only privately owned Oregon Coast lighthouse on the National Register of Historic Places. There is no public access.