Soldiers' & Sailors' Memorial Hall and Military Museum in the Oakland cultural district of Pittsburgh
, Pennsylvania was originated by the Grand Army of the Republic in 1906. It was originally built to recognize the sacrifice, valor and patriotism of the Civil War Veterans of Allegheny County
, Pennsylvania. The grand edifice, styled after the ancient mausoleum of Halicarnassus, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, today honors the men and women of Pennsylvania who served the United States in its military endeavors during our history. The Greco-Roman building was officially dedicated on October 11, 1910. The Pittsburgh
History and Landmarks Foundation bestowed "Landmark" status on the Hall in 1967. In 1974, it was entered into the National Register of Historic Places. It was designated a City Historical structure in 1991. The Department of defense designated the Hall as a "Commemorative Community" in 1993.