The Town of West Warwick does not have an official founding date going back to the 17th Century. Through the urging and votes of many people in Western Warwick, Governor Adam J. Potheir signed a bill for the division of the Town of Warwick on March 14, 1913. The new town was called West Warwick.
European traditions have been preserved in West Warwick with the celebration of St. Patrick's Day, and the Portuguese Holy Ghost Festival. Its first St. Patrick's Day Parade was held in March 1960, since then this event has grown to Statewide recognition and has attracted thousands of spectators, many dignitaries and generous media coverage. The Portuguese Holy Ghost Festival commemorates the kindness of the generous Portuguese Queen Isabella, who provided food for the poor of Portugal.
West Warwick is located in Kent County west of Warwick between Hope and Greenwood along Highway 116 near the Flat River Reservoir. West Warwick is part of the Providence-Fall River-Warwick metro area.