Nacogdoches is located north of Lufkin along US 59/259, and is the seat of Nacogdoches County.
It was named for the Nacogdoche Indians, a Caddo group. Archeological research has established that mounds found in the area date from approximately 1250 AD, when the Indians built lodges along Lanana and Bonita creeks, which converge just south of Nacogdoches and continue as a single stream to the Angelina River. The mounds were found to contain human bones and pottery.
The population was 27,149 in 1980 and 30,872 in 1990.
Victorian homes are located along shaded Mound Street, and later subdivisions ring the city. Historic preservation is encouraged; among the historic structures are the restored home of Adolphus Sterne, the oldest structure in the city, the Old University Building, the Blount House, Millard's Crossing (a preservation village), and many private dwellings.