2310 San Gabriel St., Austin Texas 78705
The Neill-Cochran House was built in 1855 for Washington L. Hill who commissioned Abner Cook, Master builder, to design and build it. The young wife of Washington L. Hill became afraid to live there alone as her husband was often away surveying. There was an Indian Trail to the West of the property and when the house was under construction, Indians were visible to her. It is said that the Spanish also used the trail. Therefore the first use of the house was in 1856 when it became the original Texas Institute for the Blind. In 1958 the house was sold to the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Texas. The Colonial Dames maintain the building as a furnished House Museum and as an adaptive use facility for students, study groups, seminars, weddings and functions of the Society.
Other History nearby:
(San Marcos) Aquarena Springs
(Austin) Austin Children's Museum
(Austin) Austin Children’s Museum
(San Marcos) Belvin Street Historic District
(Austin) Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum
(Lockhart) Caldwell County Jail Museum
06/16 Coming to The Austin area
Wild Hog Festival and Craft Fair Sabinal TX March22-24 The annual World Championship Wild Hog Catching Contest features a two-person team chasing a wild hog in a pen, capturing the hog, placing it in a burlap sack and crossing the finish line in the fastest time.
Old Settlers Music Festival Driftwood TX April18-21 Central Texas' signature music event featuring Grammy-winning Americana, arts and craft, camping, food, and libations.
Austin Yoga Conference Austin TX May11-12 Mehtab, Kyra Haglund, Charlotte Matsumura, and Gioconda are among the master yoga teachers who will appear at the Austin Yoga Conference.
Cactus Pear Music Festival San Antonio TX July5-15 A classical music festival inspired by the cactus pear margarita.
Texas Renaissance Festival Plantersville TX October12-December1 Men and women decked out in the latest in 16th century Renaissance garb, jousting, juggling, dancing and feasting at the King's banquet hall.