Newport is a town in southern Monmouthshire
. It is situated on the Usk River, four miles from its junction with the River Severn
, 12 miles northeast of Cardiff
. It was of little importance until 1870, when its position as a port for the coal of the Welsh mines encouraged a rapid industrial development. There are extensive docks and harbor works, covering about 150 acres.