Copper Center is located in Valdez-Cordova Census Area on an inner loop road off Mile 100.8 Richardson Hwy coming out of Valdez. It is on the Klutina River one mile west of its confluence with the Copper River.
Copper Center was a large Ahtna Athabascan village at one time and later became a settlement during the Klondike gold stampede in 1898.
The Copper Center Lodge was known as the Blix Roadhouse in the gold rush days. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Early farms and fishwheels can also be seen in the area.
NPS headquarters and visitor center of Wrangell-St Elias NP and Preserve is at Mile 105.1 Richardson Hwy. It is open 8am to 6pm daily in summer and weekdays in the winter.