Fort Yukon is on the Porcupine River, east of its junction with the Yukon River
. Fort Yukon was founded in 1847 as a Canadian outpost in Russian territory. The Hudson Bay Company, a British trading company, operated at Fort Yukon from 1846 until 1869. It became an important trade center for indians who inhabited the lowlands of the Yukon Flats and River valleys.
During the 1950s, a radar site and Air Force station were established. Fort Yukon was incorporated in 1959.
Winter tourism is becoming increasingly popular due to spectacular Northern Lights viewing here. Residents rely on subsistence foods such as salmon, moose, bear, and waterfowl. There is a City Transit Bus system, which provides transportation throughout town.