Galena is on the north bank of the Yukon River, northeast of the Innoko National Wildlife Refuge. Galena was established in 1918 near an old Athabascan fish camp and became a supply and trans-shipment point for nearby mines.
Today, Galena serves as the transportation, government, and commercial center for the villages of the western Interior. Subsistence food sources include moose, berries, and salmon. The Edward G. Pitka Sr Airport provides the only year-round access.