Three churches were built at this site. The original church was erected in 1796, the first Russian Orthodox church in North America.
The current church was elevated to cathedral status by Nicolai, Bishop of Sitka, Anchorage and Alaska, on April 28, 2002. The cathedral is the resting place of Herman, the patron saint of Alaska. A book and gift shop on the grounds serves parishioners and visitors. The public is invited to attend services.
Saint Hermans Theological Seminary, which offers a four-year program of theological, liturgical, patristic and biblical studies leading to a diploma, is nearby.