Port Alexander is located in Sitka Borough at the southeastern tip of Baranof Island in the Tongass National Forest. Capt. George Vancouver discovered the cove which is now Port Alexander in 1795, although the site wasn't named until 1849 by the Governor of the Russian American colonies.
In the early 1900s, fishermen discovered the rich fishing grounds in the area, and began using the area as their seasonal base. A prosperous fishing fleet developed during the 1920s. After the outbreak of WWII, the town's economy declined rapidly. Today, Port Alexander is home to about 100 residents. The town is accessible by floatplanes or private boats only.