Russian Mission lies on the west bank of the Yukon River, 25 miles southeast of Marshall. This was the site of the first Russian American Company fur trading post on the Yukon River in 1837. The first Russian Orthodox mission in Interior Alaska was established here in 1857
Russian Mission is a Yup'ik Eskimo village. Subsistence is the focus of the culture.