Ashdown is located in Little River County
(of which it is the county seat) north of Texarkana
between Ogden and Wilton along Hwy 71 near the Red River and the Texas and Oklahoma boarder.
The population estimate for July 1, 1998 was 4,790, a decrease of 360 since 1990.
The City of Ashdown was once known as Turkey Flats.
This community officially became Ashdown on June 11, 1892. Soon afterward, businesses and families began to move in. By 1901 the town had a brick bank, a new steam gin and a population of 400. Ashdown also had several saloons and was considered a lawless town not fit for respectable people.
Ashdown now offers several light industries, a modern hospital, several medical clinics, restaurants, schools, churches and other amenities.