Hardy is located in Sharp County (of which is the county seat), west of Pocahontas between Ravenden and Cherokee Village along Hwy 63 on the banks of the Spring River near the Missouri boarder and the Harold E. Alexander Wildlife Management Area.
Prior to 1880, Hardy did not exist. Only a few families lived in this heavily timbered area, and not until the completion of the railroad did the boom times come. Thanks to the railroad, much was needed; a water tank to service locomotives, a station to take on and unload passengers and freight, housing for its employees, and various other services. The town of Hardy was officially founded in 1883, and was named for James A Hardy, Jr., a 25-year-old trackage subcontractor who saved his boss's life.
Today, Hardy retains its 'old town' flavor. The downtown area looks much like it did during the Model-T days... and the merchants want to keep it that way! There are also many historical sites to be seen throughout this community.