The 390th Memorial Museum, located in Tucson, Arizona, chronicles the history of one the most successful bombing groups of World War II. On the grounds of the largest aviation museum in the United States, the area is also home to the Pima Air and Space Museum.
Outside the 390th Memorial Museum formerly on display was a F-111 aircraft but has been replaced with a restored B-18 Bolo aircraft. Located inside the memorial museum is perhaps the most recognized painting of World War II, a mural entitled "Top Cover for the J Group" a Honro Wall, Gallery of Crews art and and aircraft models. In the Joseph A. Moller Library, within the museum, there is 90,000 pages of documentation of the 390th's combat history, as well as 10,000 photographs and operates as a research center for the Air Campaign of Central Europe.
Engaged in February 1943, the 390th Bombardment Group (H) began at California's Blythe Army Air Base.
During its time of service, the 390th participated in 301 operational missions out of England, dropping more than 19,000 tons of bombs.
The Group demonstrated bombing accuracy and valor with a total of 378 enemy aircraft destroyed, 78 likely to have been destroyed, and 97 damaged. The Group's bombing statistics indicate a bombing accuracy that was the best in the Eighth Air Force and its losses to have been the lowest per mission flown and bombs dropped. The Group was awarded two Presidential Unit Citations, 8 Battle Streamers and many commendations.
Flying mostly B-17G "Flying Fortress" aircraft, the 390th lost 179 aircraft, with 147 missing in action and 32 from other causes.