Braine le Comte, population 19,000, is situated along the road between Mons and Brussels. At the time it was founded in the seventh century, it was known as Braine la Villotte. The entire town was bought by Baldwin IV, Count of Hainaut, in 1158, who built a fortress which was torn down four centuries later. The principle industry is education.
Hennuyeres, Henripont, Petit-Roeulx-lez-Braine, Ronquieres, and Steenkerque (Steenkerke) are boroughs within the municipal district of Braine-le-Comte.