The impressive Castle Fort of Bouillon dominates the Bouillon skyscape, looking down from a hillside. Its existence is definitively documented by 988, but it may have existed in some form two centuries earlier. The castle was once owned by Godfrey of Bouillon, who sold it in order to finance the First Crusade and the conquest of Jerusalem in 1096.
The castle is comprised of three forts connected by bridges. The former ducal dwelling is located in the center of the main courtyard. The original keep was pulled down during the Dutch occupation, in 1824; all that is left is a scrap of wall.
Phone: +32 / 061 46 62 57
Fax: +32 / 061 46 42 12