The Museum of Ixelles, which is a venue of the Art School of Ixelles, is famously situated in a former slaughterhouse, closed in 1890 and opened with a new mission in 1892. Many people at the time were uncomfortable with the building's history, and the decision to locate the art museum there initially stirred great controversy. The firestorm died down in due time, and several new wings have been added over the years, including one which functions as a showroom and one which functions as a village hall. Artwork from several centuries is presented, from the works of old masters to contemporary artists. Of particular note is the room of posters, including several specimens designed by Toulouse-Lautrec in pristine condition.
Phone: +32 / 02 511 90 84
Fax: +32 / 02 647 66 72