As of the year 2000, the Gent Museum of Folklore became the Huis Van Alijn, or the House of Alijn, a reference to the family who had the building constructed in 1363. Known at first as the Kinderen Alijnshospitaal (Children Alijn Hospital), it served as a hospice under various owners for several hundred years. In 1962, after the city of Gent had bought the building and refurbished it, the Museum of Folklore opened its doors to welcome the general public.
The permanent collection of the Huis Van Alijn is organized around four themes: the life cycle, folk religion, labour (crafts and trade) and leisure. An amusing exhibit in the museum is the Identification Room, where 12 selected objects from the collection whose origin and use are uncertain are displayed, and visitors opinions regarding them are solicited.
Phone: +32 / 09 269 23 50
Fax: +32 / 09 269 23 58