Charles of Lorraine, governor of the Austrian Netherlands from 1744 to 1780, had a large palace built in 1757, which now houses the Museum of the 18th Century. Lorraine was an avid collector of luxury items, and many of the pieces in the museum are the sort of exquisite finery that would have drawn his attention: porcelain, goldsmithery, fine furniture, marbles, artwork, musical instruments, silks, and so forth. The collection is drawn primarily from the treasures of the Belgian Royal Library and the Royal Museums of Art and History.
Phone: +32 / 02 519 53 71
Fax: +32 / 02 519 55 95