The Palace of Charles of Lorraine, governor of the Austrian Netherlands from 1744 to 1780, was constructed in 1756. It's neo-classical facade is ornamented with works by the sculptor Laurent Delvaux, who also crafted a magnificent Hercules (with Lorraine's facial features) which graces the bottom of the main interior staircase. The floor of the Rotunda room is decorated at the center with a rosette of 28 marble samples from around the world. The apartments are richly appointed with furniture and artwork.
The Palace is home to the Museum of the 18th Century, filled primarily with objects from the Royal Library and the Royal Museums of Art and History.
Phone: +32 / 02 519 53 71