The history of Poeke Castle extends back into the early middle ages, when Flemish knights used it as a gathering place. Continuous assault by Gent rebels took a toll upon the fortress, and by 1453, it had been abandoned. It lay unused and decaying for a century and a half, until the property was bought by the Viscounts of Nieuwpoort, in 1597. This aristocratic clan continued to govern until the late 19th century; their successors lasted less than a century, and the last Baroness of Poeke died in 1955. In 1977, the castle became property of the state; the building and its surrounding park are now part of a recreational facility.
Phone: +32 / 051 68 83 00