In 1354, the Castle Reinhardstein was built on the site of several previous settlements reaching back into the Roman and Neolithic eras. It was commissioned by the Wenceslas, Duke of Luxembourg, who would add the dukedoms of Brabant and Limburg to his title two years later in 1356. Over the next several hundred years, ownership passed through the hands of the Dukes of Nassau and the Princes of Metternich, before the castle was confiscated during the French revolution.
Over the course of the 19th century, Reinhardstein was allowed to decay into near total ruin. The handsome building that occupies the premises today is the end product of a restoration campaign initiated in 1969. The design was taken from 17th century drawings.
In addition to marvelously restored interiors (the Knights room is a favorite of visitors), there is a private art collection which is available for public view, and an ornithological and botanical nature reserve.
Phone: +32 / 080 44 64 40