Darien is located in Fairfield County southwest of Norwalk between Stamford and Bridgeport along Interstate 95 near the New York state line. The Intracoastal Waterway and Long Island Sound are nearby.
The community was named after the eastern end of the Isthmus of Panama.
Darien was originally part of Stamford, the area became a Middlesex Parish in 1737. The first planters took titles of this land in 1640, but the town of Darien wouldn't be incorporated until 1820. The Siwanoys were a generally a peaceful tribe that lived in these parts at the time of the incorporation.
Local attractions include: Scott Cove, Long Neck Point, Five Mile River, Noroton River, Westcott Cove, and the Maritime Aquarium.
Darien is part of the Stamford-Norwalk, Connecticut metro area.