Fort Delaware is one of Delawares first state parks, created in 1951. On the National Register of Historic Places, the Union fortress dates back to 1859, and once served as a prison for Confederate prisoners of war. It was originally built to protect the ports of Wilmington
and Philadelphia. The State of Delaware acquired the Fort from the Federal Government in 1947. From the parking area in Delaware City, visitors take a -mile ferry ride to Pea Patch Island aboard the DRBAs Three Fort Ferry. A jitney provides transport from the island dock to the granite and brick fortress. Here, authentically-clad historic interpreters give informative narrations on the history of the area.