The Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, founded by Mother Mary Francis Bachmann, committed to the care of the sick when they opened St. Mary's Hospital in 1860 in Philadelphia. In 1924, the Sisters opened a 60-bed Hospital in Wilmington
that was dedicated to the patron saint of their order, the gentle Saint Francis of Assisi. Over the years, the Hospital has expanded its facilities and services.
Today, St. Francis Healthcare Services encompasses a complex of buildings at its 7th and Clayton Streets location, in addition to a number of Family Care Centers throughout the community.