Christiana Care's Eugene du Pont Preventive Medicine & Rehabilitation Institute offers a full range of programs designed to promote health, prevent disease and minimize disability.
The campus, that is today home to Christiana Care's Preventive Medicine & Rehabilitation Institute, was once the private home of William du Pont. Built in the late 1800s, "Pelleport" was named after one of the family's ancestral homes in France. Pelleport passed to a cousin, Eugene du Pont Sr. whose family occupied the property for 2 generations. The residence stood vacant for over 25 years until it was razed in 1954 to make room for the Eugene du Pont Convalescent Memorial Hospital.
The 60-bed Eugene du Pont Memorial Convalescent Hospital officially opened in 1955. The first of its kind in Delaware, the new hospital offered long-term care and treatment for patients suffering from polio, brain and spinal cord injuries, multiple sclerosis, spastic paralysis, arthritis and limb amputations.