This region is bordered by Delaware to the west and Delaware to the north. The Delaware River separates it from Delaware to the northeast. Its land areas consist of a low, flat plain to the south, and rolling hills and fertile valleys along the northern edge. Wilmington, the state's largest metropolis, is situated here. Visitor destinations to satisfy every taste are numerous in the area.
Noted for the people who lived in it, the Robinson House in Claymont was built around 1723. During the Revolutionary War, George Washington, Lafayette and other luminaries occupied it. Hockessin is home to the Ashland Nature Center, consisting of 130 acres of flora and fauna, including a summertime butterfly house.
The first parish of the Church of England was established in 1703 with construction of Immanuel Episcopal Church. This restored edifice and its churchyard, containing graves dating to 1707, is located in New Castle. The New Castle Court House, built in 1732, was the colonial capital, then the state's first capital. It is a repository of Delaware's judicial history.
The Delaware Art Museum in Wilmington, noted for its 19th and 20th collections of American art, includes an interactive gallery for children. The Wilmington Riverfront, which lies along the Christina River, is graced by the tall ship replica Kalmar Nyckel Foundation. The original Swedish warship brought settlers here as early as 1638. Guided canoe trips on the Brandywine River are available here.