Online Highways Home > > Winchester

Avington Park

Search Winchester

Avington Park is a privately-owned Georgian-style historic house set on the River Itchen. Avington originally belonged to the Cathedral of Winchester until King Henry VIII granted the estate to Edmund Clerke, who built the banqueting hall, now the orangery. In the mid-17th century, the house was enlarged to accommodate the King and Nell Gwynne. The 3rd Duke of Chandos inherited the property and made improvements which include the leaded statues, fountain, redecorating and gilding the state rooms, and laying out the gardens and parkland with planted avenues. The estate was sold in 1847 to Sir John Shelley, brother of the poet, and was sold to Lt. Col and Mrs Hickson in 1953. The house and tea bar are open to the public May-September on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays. Groups can be pre-booked throughout the year. Tel: +44 (0) 1962 779260, Fax: +44 (0) 1962 779864

Location: Avington Park, Winchester S021 1D Telephone 01962-779