Shrewsbury is the capital of Shropshire, located on the River Severn 43 miles northwest of Birmingham. An ancient place, Shrewsbury was long a regional center on the Welsh borderland and is a focus for roads and railways leading into central Wales. The town is pleasantly situated on high ground in a bed of the river, crossed by bridges to suburbs.
The castle, erected in the 11th cenbtury on the site of a Saxon fortress, overlooks the river. It was captured in 1645 by Parliamentary forces and in the reign of James II was partially demolished. It has been since rebuilt.