Located at the confluence of the Ille and Vilaine rivers, 111 miles E of Quimper and 190 miles SW of Paris, the medieval city of Rennes is the capital of Brittany. The town was devastated by fire in 1720, sparing only a small portion of the original city. Today the city reflects the 18th-century reconstruction, with wide avenues radiating from place des Lices and place Ste-Anne. The city features three prominent religious structures the Cathedrale St-Pierre, completed in 1844, the 18th-century Eglise St-Sauveur and the Eglise St-Germain, located just south of rue St-George as well as a Neo-Classical opera house and the Parc du Thabor, once part of a Benedictine monastery.
Tourist Office 11 rue Saint Yves - CS 26410 35064 Rennes Phone: 33 2 99 67 11 11 Fax: 33 2 99 67 11 10