Once a coal-mining center, Albia is located in Monroe County
(of which it is the county seat) west of Ottumwa
in the South Central Region
of Iowa along Highway 5 near Stephens State Forest.
Originally called Princeton, Albia offers a journey back in time. Amid the scenic southern Iowa hills, forests and rivers, the community draws visitors interested in relaxation, recreation and restoration. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, residents and merchants built in the popular Victorian styles of the day. In 1903, the three-story Monroe County Courthouse was completed. Albia's 92-building business district, the courthouse and several homes are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Guidebooks are available for self-directed walking tours.
Community festivals include Restoration Days. Event dates often change so check ahead.
Nearby parks and recreation include Lake Miami & Park.
Historic sites and museums iclude the Monroe County Historical Museum.