Belvidere, the "City of Murals", is located in northern Illinois in Boone County
(of which it is the county seat) 12 miles east of Rockford
along Highway 20 on the banks of the Rock River
near the Wisconsin state line. The city has 15 historic murals created by the "Walldogs".
The town was originally named "Elysian Fields" in 1835 but was later changed to its current name, which means "beautiful to view".
Belvidere was originally built up on the north side of the Kishwaukee River but when the railroad came through the area on the south side in 1851, the inevitable move in that direction was begun.
Area recreation includes an opportunity for golfers at Swan Hills Golf Course as well as familiy activities at Belvidere Park.
The population estimate for July 1, 1998 was 18,445, an increase of 2,386 since 1990.