Williamson county is located in southern Illinois and was formed out of Franklin County
The county seat is Marion, which is located at the intersection of Interstate 57 and SR 13.
Outdoor enthusiasts enjoy the Crab Orchard Lake & NWR area west of Marion. In addition, the county is poised on the northern boundaries of Shawnee National Forest.
A "must see" is the Goddard Chapel. It was built in 1918 with a 15th-century parish church motif, complete with Bedford stone and art glass windows.
The county population on July 1, 1999, was 61,550, an increase of 3,817 over the 1990 census.
For information on county government, contact the National Association of Counties Web site.
Additional information is available at these pages: