Online Highways Home > > Mellifont

Old Mellifont Abbey

Search Mellifont

Founded by Saint Malachy in 1142, was Ireland's first Cistercian Monastery. Its foundation marked the introduction into Ireland of the European monastic way of life. Monasterboice is known for its remains of the monastic settlement founded by Saint Buite in the fifth century. The remains consist of an old graveyard, two churches, three sculptured crosses, two early grave slabs and a sundial.

Location: Mellifont

Other History nearby:
(Armagh) Armagh Public Library
(Dublin) Belvedere House
(Dun Laoghaire) Cabinteely House
(Dun Laoghaire) Carysford House
(Dublin) Casino at Marino
(Dublin) Chapter House

06/18 Coming to The Mellifont area