Spanish and Frecch expeditions here pre-date The Lewis & Clark Expedition in 1804. The existing and active US Army Fort Leavenworth, is part of Fort Leavenworth Military Reservation three miles North of the City of Leavenworth
. Leavenworth Military Reservation, 1070 acres, 110 buildings), is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1881 the Commanding General of the Army, William, T. Sherman, created The Command & General Staff College, along with the Combined Arms Research Library are located here. American history researchers would be hard pressed to identify a more worthy subject of study. This facility has had a prominent role in the development of the American West through the present time. This site has also figured in all of America's wars from the Mexican War to the present.
Other sites in the area are:Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery