Founded: 1874, Population: 593, Elevation: 1385 ft.
In the Flint Hills Country, Marquette is located in western McPherson County between Hwy 4 and the Smoky Hill River. Kanopolis Lake and Kanopolis State Park are 10 miles away.
Settled by immigrants from Sweden, the town was chartered in early 1874.
Today Marquette's entire downtown area is listed as a Kansas historical site. Constructed during the 1880's, most of Marquette's downtown buildings, (each is marked with the year it was constructed), display a decorative metal trim-work meticulously painted in a Scandinavian motif.
From its historic main street with authentic turn of the century stores and buildings, to delightful neighborhoods with beautifully restored and maintained period homes, it seems like time has stood still in this idyllic prairie town.
The Charter House cabin on east Fifth was the setting for the signing of Marquette Town Charter in 1874. City Sundries still has a marble soda fountain.